Sunday, August 9, 2009

Missouri Wine Country Restaurant Review: Sybil's

Another of those recommendations from my bosses that I had to try. After growing up thinking McDonald's was a special treat, and that any restaurant that seated you before taking your order was "fancy", my tastes have evolved.

About a half mile north of I-44 in the little town of St. James is a HUGE house with a great menu. Sybil's looks like something taken straight out of a plantation picture, but is one of the best dining experiences I've had in mid-Missouri.

My boyfriend and I had decided to go for a drive and to visit a friend of mine who will be teaching in mid-MO this year. (Really, this is just a great excuse for me to go get wine. There's the moral of the story!) I had heard of Sybil's from my bosses, as mentioned, but figured I'd not likely have a reason to go anytime soon.

We drove to the restaurant, and had no problems finding parking, as the lot is completely paved. Tied to what I can only imagine is a decorator's store, Sybil's provides a very elegant outlet for those seeking both good food and a high-class environment.

Walking in to the main doors, I cringed only slightly inside, thinking that my ideas had finally gotten the better of me. Everything screamed "too good for you." Especially since most of the items on display came complete with a price tag. If you found something you wanted to learn more about purchasing, you simply ask the waitress, I guess.

The friend teaching in the area had heard of, but never been to, the restaurant. And all she heard was "kind of expensive." But she had apparently not heard the full story. While the menu was likely on the pricy side for dinner, lunch was incredibly reasonable. It was actually pretty comparable to the prices of many chain sit-down places for the lunch menu. And surprisingly, several of the patrons were in shorts and sandals through the lunch period. We all felt at home in jeans and polo shirts.

My friend took advantage of a new lunch item they were trying out, a steak quesadilla. My boy went for the french dip sandwich with buffalo fries, and I decided to have the pulled pork barbecue sandwich with steak fries.

The lunch was great, and the planning was smart; the dessert menu was printed seperately, and brought to the table after we had completed our dishes. We tried the tiramisu and the peanut butter pie. Both were decadent and flavorful.

If you are in the St. James area, you will undoubtedly enjoy Sybil's. Between the food, the service, and the ambiance, you'll feel like you're being spoiled--even if you aren't paying through the nose for it. I would recommend making a reservation for any typical dinner or lunch time.

No comments: