Sunday, December 7, 2008

Dykes with forks: Samurai Sausage

In the holiday rush, the girlfriend and I did a lot of dining out this weekend (PLEASE, spare me the eating out jokes). And, as usual, our gastronomic forays were blogworthy.

Saturday morning, we stopped at the Montgomery Truck Stop. This place makes no pretension about being anything other than what it is: a greasy spoon. I am an enormous fan of the greasy spoon. And while Montgomery’s isn’t big on ambiance, the food is good and cheap.

I mentioned ambiance. The ambiance in Montgomery’s Saturday involved a gentleman who liked ventilation … in his pants. As I gulped a cup of coffee to bring myself out of my morning coma, this guy stands up and makes something of a show of adjusting himself out of the booth. As he did so, the enormous hole in the crotch of his jeans gave me a glimpse of sausage and I’m not talking about Jimmy Dean.

Oh. Ew. Thankfully, I have a strong constitution and was able to put the little exhibitionist out of my mind. Ahem.

At lunch time, we needed a quick bite and a co-worker had mentioned Samurai Sam’s out on Republic Rd. We happened to be out there, so we ducked in to check it out.

The official Dykes With Forks verdict? Don’t waste your money. The Teriyaki sauce on the chicken yaki soba bowl had an odd smoke aftertaste to it and the egg roll had clearly been microwaved. I would have done better to have purchased frozen egg rolls and a Healthy Choice Steamer at Wal Mart. At least that cardboard concoction would be a little tastier.

Got some place you want us to review? Want to write your own send up of a dining establishment? Send me an email or drop me a line in the comments!

No comments: