Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A year older and bitchier

Oh, hello. Yes, I know, where the hell have I been? All apologies, but my time hasn’t exactly been my own of late. That and I had a birthday last week.

The GF and I went out for a celebratory birthday dinner as a matter of fact. She took me to Kai, because that’s my favorite place and she’s cool like that.

We arrived a few minutes early and our table wasn’t ready. We went to the bar, as instructed, to wait. A few minutes later another couple came and sat next to us.

The man started in immediately, “Did you see what those idiots in California are doing? The voters voted against Prop 8 and now they’re fighting it …” he trailed off because at this point I was staring at him. He looked at his feet. Fortunately, the hostess came and got him and took him to his table.

Unfortunately, when they came and got us, they put us at the table right next to him. If you’ve never been to Kai, the tables are mere inches apart. It’s a cozy place.

This could be a story about discrimination or being treated poorly by some jackass straight man, but I’m happy to report it isn’t.

Instead of being intimidated and uncomfortable, the GF and I continued our conversation. We traversed a number of current topics and when Jackass wasn’t treating our waiter like dirt he was glowering that we two uppity lesbians were proving that we were just a couple just like he and his wife.

Then the hostess brought an obviously gay man and his female dining partner up and seated them at the next table. By now, Jackass was fuming. He continued to take his ire out on the waiter.

The final straw was when our food was brought to the table. Of course, two of our dishes were flaming and Jackass’s wife could not help but ask us what they were. He glared at her as if her talking to us might give her a case of the gay.

He barked at the waiter to bring his check. They had barely finished eating. While I didn’t clap when he left, I did chuckle loudly.

And speaking of married couples, I mentioned I’d been a twee busy of late. The GF and I are in the process of planning a commitment ceremony. Now, now, no ugly emails about burying the lead.

The announcement comes lately and quietly in the post for a reason. It’s going to be a very quiet event. The GF and I are, as a friend quipped, not exactly people people. We’re having a very small ceremony with just family at my parents' home. We plan to celebrate big with friends a little later on this summer.

No comments: