Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Where did you learn about marriage?

I posted about this in my Wildelife blog a week ago or so, but after having a conversation this evening, it seemed appropriate to write something here.

After the latest decisions in favor of equal rights for LGBT citizens of the US, the attack ads are already in the works. Gay marriage is a terrorizing endeavor, bent on taking away the rights of the rest of society and leaving it in the hands of the small few.

Okay, I have a few problems with this anyway. For one, I've heard pundits and politicians alike suggest giving it to the people to decide. That was done in California last fall. It had bad results. There were a LOT of people who didn't realize that voting no was in FAVOR of gay marriage, but voting yes was AGAINST it. Call that stupidity on the part of the bill writer or whatever, when we "leave it to the people" to decide, it's not going to go well. Besides that, historically, people tend to mediocrity and the status quo, not for progressive ideas--you know, like equality.

All that said, one of the latest attack ads has been touting that kids will be taught in schools that gay marriage is equal.

My initial reaction is "AND???", but there's a basic premise that is entirely faulty here. My mom taught for 35 years in a public school system. I was raised around teachers. I even have a degree in education--which has been totally wasted, but for entirely different reasons. Many of my friends are educators. And there's a surprising fact, here...

NOT ONE OF THEM can remember ever teaching about marriage in any of their experiences. Not in elementary, not in high school, and not in most college courses. For that matter, not one of them can remember learning about marriage from their schools.

So, my question is plain and simple: Who is teaching marriage?

No comments: