Monday, January 19, 2009

No place like home

My good friend Wildefan is taking the reins today. Sorry for the prolonged silence, I've been recovering from numerous health issues. Be back shortly, but in the meantime enjoy the following.

For New Year's weekend, my boyfriend and I decided we needed a much-deserved break from our lives. More than that, we needed a weekend together, where we might actually wake up seeing one another. So after he finished his job on Friday, we headed to Dallas, TX.

For those unaware, you might take note that Dallas exists in some small part BECAUSE it has gays. I mean, there are more than a couple of sections of town that wouldn't be possible without the gay influence. In one neighborhood, we found a Crate & Barrel, a Pottery Barn, and a Restoration Hardware. Not to mention a Wine Bar and an Apple Store nearby. Within walking distance is a Borders Bookstore, a Brooks Brothers clothier, and a Polo store.

The point is, Dallas is GAY! With a capital "G" and a snapping "Z". Yes, yes. It's gay-lorious.

My boyfriend and I decided to go for a quiet, romantic dinner at a local restaurant.

Even if we weren't gay, the restaurant was. It was cozy and intimate, full of character with art for sale on the walls. The waiters all wore tight pants, and everything was upscale, including the shopping center at-the-door valet parking.

As I listened to the chatter around us (I'm a people watcher), my eyes locked in on a table nearby. There was a middle-aged couple, obviously married, sitting with a lone gentleman of their age. No ring on his finger, a vibrant personality, and a voice that closely matches nearly every stereotypical "gay" thing imaginable. The conversation progressed, and his voice became more gay each moment. At one point, I finally looked at my boyfriend, leaned in, and said, "Honey, I found the gay!"

To which he responded, "You think EVERYONE is gay."

"No, I mean it. This guy is G-AY. Just close your eyes, listen to his voice for a minute, and tell me I'm wrong." He did so. And then agreed quickly.

"Yep. We have a winner! He's gay."

Five minutes later, we were enjoying a couple of plates, the first glass of wine was consumed for each of us, and I hear the guy talking to this couple about their web site. They asked about hackers and protection. He responded in kind. Then he said it.

"Well, I suppose you heard about that online dating service. Now they HAVE to provide 'M seeking M' as an option. But there'll always be those sickos out there."

My head raised faster than any dog, and I'm sure I uttered a Scooby-Doo-esque sound.

Boyfriend looked at me and whispered, quickly and repetitively, "Let it go. Don't make a scene. It's not worth it. Let it go. Really, let it go."

"No. Not going to happen. I'm pissed. That's not okay. EVER."

About that time, the woman at the table slowly raised her head. Slowly, she turned toward us. Her eyes caught mine. I stared daggers. She lowered her head, still slowly, and turned away, back to her table.

No words were said. Nothing said to the management, nor did anyone apologize. It's the first time I've had something stated of that nature in my presence. I immediately told my boyfriend we were going to leave. I wanted to have more dishes at that place, but not that night. Not at that time.

We walked right past the table with the offender, no eye contact was made on either side. In ways, I'm sure he won. But it's really difficult for a permanent loser to really win. As my boyfriend and I walked out of the restaurant, I thought of a thousand things to say to the hostess, who asked "How was you boys' meal?" I couldn't state one aloud, aside from "The food was good."

Who knew a small city in southern Missouri could be more friendly than a large city with a much more blatant gay population?

No comments: