Friday, January 30, 2009

Opening Up

I was at one of the major coffee house chains the other day. (And while I won't say which one, I will simply mention that there's a literary reference in their name.) This particular location of the chain is my favorite for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, it's close to work. That means that if I'm having a bad day and want to relax after work for a few minutes, it's no problem to drive by and grab a "fancy-ass coffee"--as my boyfriend likes to call it, sit down, and just unwind. The same is equally true of otherwise bored lunch hours.

In the past year, there were more reasons to go. There were a couple of incredibly cute guys who worked the counter. And being a man of words, I enjoy a great verbal spar any time I get the opportunity. These guys could hold their own against an English major, and look good doing it. (It also didn't hurt that--again--they were CUTE. And willing to get me whatever I wanted. Really, I have simple tastes. Give me everything I ask for, and be sexy doing it. That happens, I'm happy!)

But there's another reason I love that place. One of the baristas and I have engaged in verbal sparring for the better part of the last six months. (Sorry guys; he's straight--not that I hold it against him.) And after getting in a rather impressive dig on me one lunch hour, he quickly noticed my crest-fallen face. (WHAT? I used to do theater...I make faces.) He spurted an apology, explaining that he'd never mean that in any way. On the contrary, he stated, he would greatly enjoy hanging out with me outside of the coffee house. (AWW!)

So, after having said that, and my perpetual visits to be berated and harassed by the help, out of nowhere the other day, said barista-boy plopped down at my table during his break. I was thoroughly engrossed in a book (as usual). But he started chatting away, and I was glad for it.

Then I noticed the time. It was getting close to time for me to return to work...a bit too close, actually.

I started to close my book, and he said he had another question. Okay, fine. Another question won't hurt. What can I say? I'm a sucker for sweet eyes, gay or straight!

"You just opened up to me last week about the guy you're seeing, and I appreciate that. But I know what you do for a living. How does that work? I mean, do people discriminate against you because you're gay?"

It was actually a very endearing conversation. I mean, it's not like my whole life revolves around buggery. And yes, my work sometimes does get in the way of my relationship; so does my boyfriend's! But, when you mix religious views with anything other than married straight sex, something's bound to conflict. Fortunately, though, my life hasn't been fraught with outright discrimination.

Yes, there are the times that I wish people didn't look at my boyfriend and me on a date like we're the latest exhibit at the zoo. But sometimes, it's more fun to mess with their minds and give a sort of peep show into gay life than to be upset about being the outsider. (If you aren't aware of it, I'll simply say that breeders in the queen city are astonished by anything gay. Whether it's a flag or something else, you can be sure that it'll be intriguing to a straight person!)

No, no silly story here. Just reminiscing on a great event from this week.

No comments: