Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Q&A with Rebecca Clark, GLO President

Q: How long have you served on the GLO Board?

A: I have attended board and Pride committee meetings off and on over the past two years. I have been a GLO Board member since April 2008.


Q: Why did you decide to get involved?

A: I was involved with the organization of the Northwest Arkansas GLBT Community Center a couple of years ago. At the time, I was dating someone in Arkansas and through helping them build their organization I realized I had a strong desire to make a difference in “my” community as well.

Q: What was behind your decision to become GLO's president?

A: After becoming a board member and being on the Pride committee, I saw what dedication it took to make a difference. We need people to make a difference in this community. I have a passion for our Community Center and want to see it continue to flourish. It takes a lot of work to keep a center running and I decided I was going to help make that happen.

I have a great group of Board Members and together we make a great team!

Q: Do you worry about the visibility of the position?

A: Not really. However, I am the president of my local Neighborhood Organization and I am not out to that organization. If I were to be challenged I would resign from that position as I feel very passionate about our GLO Community Center. That has to be my main focus. I am out to my friends and co-workers which makes it easier for me to be comfortable in my position.

Q: What is your overall vision for GLO?

A: Getting the center more publicized. So many people don’t even KNOW that we have a center. I find that very sad since this is our 12th anniversary. Being in the Bible Belt I know is a challenge, but I want to change that. I would like to see the Community Center host more community groups such as a LGBTQ Support Group, LGBTQ Parents Group etc. We have a center that can be utilized in so many ways.

Q: What changes are taking place at GLO?

A: We are currently working on having the GLO Center open during the week for visitors as well as trying to have someone on hand to answer the phones. This takes volunteers!!! We have a practicum student from Missouri State University who will be keeping the center open on Fridays from 8am to 5pm. But we need more help during the week. The center has recently been donated 3 computers by the Kansas City Community Center. Having the center open will give those who don’t have a computer access to the internet and other resources.

We have several MSU students who have graciously offered their time and energy to keep the center open as well as changing the décor of the center to look even more inviting. They have done such an awesome job! Anyone who has not seen the center recently should come check it out. We are also working on donations of furniture to replace the existing couches. We will be having a work day in the spring to paint and work on the interior of the center.


Q: What sorts of GLO events are coming up?

A: We have recently hosted a Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner at the GLO Center. Although the center has hosted Thanksgiving dinner annually this was our first year to host the Christmas dinner. It was a great success and we will continue this annually as well. I want everyone in our community to have a place to go for the holidays. Join us next year for great food and fun with your family and friends!

We have a fundraiser event “THE GLO SHOW” January 24th 2009 at The Edge at 10pm. Visit our website www.glocenter.org and follow the link. This is a great way to show your support of YOUR Community Center.

There are several events coming up so keep visiting our website to see what is going on in your community! We are working on bringing back the Friday Night Movie Night. We want our community to have a place to come mingle with others and have a great time. We have also started the First Friday art display where we will showcase local LGBTQ artists.

Pride 2009 planning is well under way. Pride will be held Sunday June 14th from 1pm to 8pm on the GLO Center grounds. If you would like to have a Vendors Booth or be a Sponsor of Pride please contact the center.

Q: Any other words of wisdom?

A: I just want to thank you for the opportunity to be the GLO President and I look forward to working with everyone to make our community better, stronger and more active.

No comments: