Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Outraged yet? Then keep paying attention...

While it's fine and I will readily admit that my folly is to laugh at stupidity, I have to point out that this particular idea is not funny at all. It's entirely too scary. Because somewhere, someone believes this to be an accurate image of reality. If this doesn't terrify you to your core, I'm scared for you!

http://www.wvformarriage.com/

Yeah. Check out the YouTube video attached to the front page of this.

Until the last election, I wasn't aware that wanting to be with my partner in a committed, legally-recognized relationship was a threat. To anyone. Anywhere. I didn't realize that a legal relationship with my partner would do anything to my bosses or their children, who are grown. Didn't realize that their grown sons' relationships, too, would be defined only by how my relationship was recognized.

I also was not aware, despite being both a church-goer and a gay man, that my relationship would put at risk any other couples from being able to have marital counseling from a church. According to the video, this is a fact. We also will keep couples from adopting. Or churches from having services.

And if we don't stop it now, apparently the Earth will implode.

Scared yet? Read on.

What amazes me (and terrifies my very core) is the audacity that some people have to agree with this so clearly misguided view of marriage. If marriage is sacred and worth fighting for, then I leave it to a very humble suggestion--one that in no way originated with me. Attack the real enemies of marriage: divorce, abuse, neglect, and infidelity. Leave a healthy relationship out of the debate--it's not breaking yours.

Want a real kicker in this one? I know more straight people staring down the barrel of divorce (or divorced within the last 2 years) than committed gay or lesbian couples (and I know several).

I'm astounded. Really. If your marriage is degraded by my partner and I being able to be legally recognized as a couple, then my only guess is that your faith life must be as challenged by the whole Da Vinci Code debate. If either case is true, you're a moron. I can't be nice about that. You clearly have lost the capacity of using your brain.

No comments: