Thursday, February 5, 2009

Straight Talk from the Angry Dyke

If I never hear the words, “If only we as a community would stop/start (insert whatever gay activity is deemed inappropriate at the moment or whatever heteronormative fad is pressing) the straight community would take us seriously,” it will be too soon. As silly as it is, “We’re here. We’re queer. Get used to it,” is far more empowering and a MUCH better message to send.

I’m going to put it bluntly gang, we need to respect ourselves. We bitch and piss and moan about how everyone looks down on us and thinks we’re degenerates and treats us as second class citizens. And do you know why? Because a large number of us believe that’s how we deserve to be treated.

Now don’t go sending me piles of angry emails about how we deserve the same rights as straight folk and we’re being underrepresented and unrecognized … yes, you’re right, we absolutely are. Yes, we need to fight for our rights and organize and work together. Don’t think for a moment I’m disputing that.

My point is we have to start presenting a public face that says, “Yes, I’m gay and I’m fine with it. In fact, I’m proud of who I am. I’m a relevant, righteous and respected member of my community and if you have a problem with me, well that’s YOUR problem.” People respect people who respect themselves.

I’m not saying we have it easy. No one denies we’ve had hate and discontent shoved down our throats throughout the ages. And that’s not going to change. What can change is how we react to it.

All too often, rather than argue and fight back against those who slander and malign us we just whimper about how badly we’re treated. Cut that garbage out right this instant.

Stop asking for respect. Expect it. Stop begging for tolerance. Demand it. Stop hoping we’re going to gain equality and rights. Fight for what is rightfully yours to begin with.

All of this starts with self-respect. Love you for who you are and MOST of the rest of the world will follow.

No comments: